Dr. Christian K.
Dr. Christian K., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of veterinary experience in canine surgery, medicine and behavior
15186300

how to best treat hot spot in rottweiler.

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christian K. replied 6 years ago.

This is Dr. Christian. Welcome to JustAnswer. A few questions will help me get a clearer picture of the situation:

• Where is the hot spot located?
  • How long has it been there?
  • How much your dog weigh?
  • Does your dog have any medical conditions or take any medications?
  • How is your dog acting otherwise?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
legs head ,3weeks 48kg . he has musculo weakness , just started METACAM .is this a alegy or exma type .

Typically a hotspot is caused by an allergy but the only way to know for sure is to do some testing. He may end up needing medications from your vet such as antibiotics and steroids since this has been going on for so long. However, her are some other things you can try:

• Clip and much hair off the wounds as best you can. This will prevent matting and bacteria from staying on the wounds
  • Clean the wounds with warm espson salt water twice daily. This draws out infection and helps the healing process.
  • Dry the wounds thoroughly and apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the area. You can also apply a cortisone ointment as well.
  • You may have to purchase an ecollar (lampshade collar) at your pet store to prevent him from chewing the area.
  • You can give 75mg of benadryl every 8-12 hours for itching. It may cause drowsiness.

If you have more questions please let me know.

Do you have any more questions I can answer for you?