Dr Alex
Dr Alex, Veterinarian
Experience:  Experience with dogs, cats, reptiles and other exotics

my dog has a big lump under his neck, it is the size of a tennis

my dog has a big lump under his neck, it is the size of a tennis ball, I am on vacation and his neck area was fine when we go to our location, the next day when I was playing with him I notice a large lump or knots on his neck area. What should I do. I have call several vets and no one is working today. Can you please give me some insight. Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Alex replied 4 years ago.
I would be concerned at this point that these lumps are enlarged lymph nodes. One thing you can check is the lymph nodes in his rear legs; these are located pretty much behind the knees and a normal size would be about the size of a marble. What concerns me is the chance of lymphatic cancer or lymphoma. I would take this guy into your vet as soon as you can so they can do a complete physical exam and possibly take samples of the lumps to analyze further. Please let me know if you have any more questions. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I check behind his rear knees and everything looks to be fine, the lump is under his chin in the throat area, I am concern because he is a house dog and not use to being outside in the cold, if this would have something to do with it. We are going back home tomorrow and if there anything that I can do for him today.
Expert:  Dr Alex replied 4 years ago.
Is he still eating? I think as long as he is still eating and drinking OK and does not seem lethargic he should be ok until you get home. The one thing I would also do that I forgot to mention earlier is check him for ticks. Ticks can carry some diseases and since you are on vacation, ticks can definitely be a possibility. Ticks are found mainly in wooded areas. Some of the diseases that they can carry are Lyme disease, Ehrlichia, and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF). I'm just letting you know about these in case you want to do a bit of research yourself. Definitely check him for ticks though. And one more random question...are you anywhere that salmon could be around? Salmon can often carry another type of disease that may show these signs...let me know what you find as far as ticks go. Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He don't have any ticks and we are not in an area where salmon is found.
Expert:  Dr Alex replied 4 years ago.
OK that's good. So I would recommend when you get home to see your veterinarian and have him take a closer look at those lumps, whether they are lymph nodes or not. Until then, I would just monitor his appetite and energy level closely. If he stops eating or becomes lethargic I would get him to a veterinarian ASAP. Hope this helps. Thanks!
Dr Alex, Veterinarian
Experience: Experience with dogs, cats, reptiles and other exotics