Doctor Jeff
Doctor Jeff, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small Animal Veterinarian and practice owner with 12+ years experience.

My dog is making a grunting noise, he is walking normal (no

My dog is making a grunting noise, he is walking normal (no limping) but it seems his hips or lower back is in pain or discomfort. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor Jeff replied 6 years ago.

How much does he weigh?

Is he acting restless?

Did he get a bath recently or play alot in the snow?

When did you give the aspirin?

Dr. Jeff

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He weighs about 78 lbs

He just got up to eat some food and drank some water, but now he is laying on theground with a pillow spread out. When you ask if he is restless... he is sleeping so Im not too sure...

He did get a bath on monday and he always loves to play

I gave him a baby asprin around 0930 mountain time

He may be dealing with a mild strain or sprain. There is also a slight chance of a problem called swimmers tail or limber tail. The fact that a bath was given does make this possible. This is a neuropathy that can occur after swimming or a bath. Dogs present with the difficulty lifting their tail and they act a little sore in the rear. It typcally passes after a couple days. Now, this is unlikely, but I thought I would mention it. This is more likely a sprain or strain or minor intervertebral disc issue. You have alot of dosing room to work with. In about an hour, give a full 325 mg aspirin (or four baby aspirin -- 81 mg). You can give this twice daily. This should be enough to calm down any of these more minor issues. If the symptoms persist or they worsen, then I would look to having him seen.

I hope this helps and gives you direction.

Dr. Jeff