CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

My Dog keeps chewing on his dew claws.. to the point of bleeding.

My Dog keeps chewing on his dew claws.. to the point of bleeding. He has been checked by a vet before - there is no "infection" feet were bandaged and antibiotics given. First it was just one leg now it is both!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Does this happen all year round or just specific times of the year?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It started about the time we moved in September. Could it be "emotional" ?

In dealing with the skin biting as you describe, the first recommendation is to make sure there is no underlying cause, such as:
- Bacterial skin infection
- Fleas
- Mites (Demodectic Mange or Sarcoptic Mange)
- Fungal infections

Tests such as skin scrapings by your veterinarian should be considered.

If there is not an underlying infectious cause, diet may have played a role. This is less likely if it is seasonal, but something to consider. Dogs are commonly affected by the proteins in the food - thus another recommendation would be to change him to a sensitive skin diet - or even more potent would be to change the diet to a prescription hypoallergenic diet - such as Hill's Z/D or Purina H/A (hydrolyzed diets) as well as novel protein diets such as with the IVD brand.

Other options would be the use of special shampoo formulas, such as an oatmeal shampoo or other soothing shampoos.

Supplements such as Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids may also help:

These links may also help in understanding skin disease, supplements, and diets for dogs:

The other possible recommendation would be to use an antihistamine such as Benadryl (Diphenhydramine). The dose is 1mg for every 1 pound of body weight. This means a 25 pound dog can get 25mg every 8 to 12 hours to help with the itching!

I hope this information is helpful.
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.