Dr. Dustine Spencer
Dr. Dustine Spencer, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BS in Biology, DVM, 5 years experience in Small Animal Medicine, Surgery and Emergencies
21227658

my golden has dark circles around her eyes. What could cause

my golden has dark circles around her eyes. What could cause this?

Hello and thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer!

I have a couple quick questions, that if you answer, will help me assist you.

First, are the dark circles kind of a reddish brown color? Are they around both eyes? How large are the circles? 1/2 inch all the way around each eye? When did you first notice them? Have they gotten better or worse? Does she ever squint her eyes? Do the circles involve ONLY the hair around the eyes, or does it look like the skin is discolored as well? Is there any discharge from her eyes?

I look forward to assisting with your question.

Dr. Spencer

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The circles are just a dark brown color. They are around each eye, entirely around each eye. They are indeed about a l/2 around each eye. I first noticed them several months ago. We thought it was an aging thing, I'm sorry to say. There is no other discoloration anywhere else. There is no discharge from her eye and I don't see her squinting.

Thank you for your anwers.

Typically the color you are describing is related to epiphora (tear staining). This may be caused by Entropion, which is a disease where the eyelashes rub on the cornea of the eye, leading to increased tear production (most owners do not notice an increase in tear production with this disease). Allergies can also cause increased tear production and staining.

You may try some Benadryl - for a typical Golden Retriever, you may give 1mg per pound - so if she is 50 pounds, give her 2, 25mg tablets (the over the counter Benadryl you would take) every 8-12 hours. This may help if it is associated with allergies. However, since Entropion usually requires surgery to correct the problem and can cause scarring on the cornea, as well as corneal ulcers, it would be a good idea to take her into the vet and have her checked out just to be safe. I recommend that you specifically request for them to check for Entropion.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask! Good luck!

Take care,

Dr. Spencer