Dr. Tad
Dr. Tad, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years as a small animal and emergency veterinarian
24225848

Can dogs be given oxycodone for pain

Can dogs be given oxycodone for pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Tad replied 6 years ago.
This can be used in dogs, but it very seldomly is used in veterinary medicine. What is causing the pain in your dog? Are you currently using something for pain?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has arthritis in her back hip joint and she seems very uncomfortable especially at night.
Expert:  Dr. Tad replied 6 years ago.
Most often, arthritis is treated with other medications (such as a non steroidal anti inflammatory drug). Arthritis is going to be a long term condition and oxycontin is a habit forming drug which is also abused by people quite often. Yes, it CAN be used in dogs but you will likely be somewhat hard pressed to find a veterinarian who prescribes it regularly for this reason. The dose is 0.5-1 mg/kg orally twice daily. I would consider discussing medication options with your veterinarian. They will likely suggest a NSAID (non steroidal) and potentially other medications (such as tramadol) if that is not good enough.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Dr. Tad