Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

I have 6 week old puppies one is peeing blood seems to be trying

I have 6 week old puppies one is peeing blood seems to be trying to go often and having difficulty. She doesnt seem to be in pain when i rub her belly!Continues to eat and drink!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

How much blood are you seing?

How long has this been going on?

Does the imbilicus look normal?

Do you feel any hernias anywhere?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
urine is quite pink not a lot of volume , noticed yesterday contineues today.I dont feel any ab normal lumps or bumps
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
This is very uncommon in a puppy this age. Many cases are a result of a previous umbilicus infection. I have seen a bladder stone in a puppy this age as well, but it is very rare. There are many toxins that will cause blood in the urine if the puppy licked something bad. If there is a urinary tract infection, the blood could be coming from the straining to urinate. You need to have your vet examine a urine sample to rule out infection. If there is bacteria in the urine, the pup will need oral antibiotics for several weeks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have used a solution of bleach water and soap to clean kennel could this cause any issues? she has been straining and low volume. What about plastic from pee-pad or used to protect floor of kennel maybe a staple used to hold plastic in place?Any specific chemicals to look for?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Bleach is more of an caustic irritant than a poison. It causes burns in the mouth and esophagus. If the puppy is not vomiting, the cleaner is not likely. Just about everything toxic enough to cause bloody urine will cause vomiting, diarrhea and a loss of appetite. The urine will look very bloody, but the dogs don't strain. I would be more suspicious of a UTI. If she ate a staple you would have bloody stool and straining.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Last few wees are clear but still straining and trying to go often. Should i monitor or do i need to hurry to vet?What is a sign it is time to hurry or relax.If a staple would she be in pain or show symptoms of pain?

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
An ingested staple would cause vomiting and loss of appetite as well. Most are non toxic stainless steel. If the puppy is still eating and drinking it is not an emergency, but if the straining persists I would have the pup checked out as soon as you can.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you we have 6 litter mates all seem fine We will monitor them and have her checked out just to be safe .Is there a way to get the same person online if i have more questions?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
You can post more links direct to this thread. It will show up in your account history when you log on. If not, start your question with 'Attention Dr. Scott' and I'll see it.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.