Scott Nimmo
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS.
10315041

my dog wont eat and s thirsty all the time . she has been thirsty

my dog wont eat and s thirsty all the time . she has been thirsty for about a month but in the last three days she has lost her appetite and has not had a bowel movement in two days also she seem to be having bladder control issues.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Scott Nimmo replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

In direct answer to your question : While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you that a dog which is drinking excessively is always a cause for concern and this is something you should have checked out at the next opportunity. The excessive drinking is likely to be the clue to what is going on and the not eating could well follow on from this.

From my past experience I can give you a list of the conditions which might make a female dog in your one's age group drink excessively and you can see that some of these are serious conditions :

1. Diabetes mellitus - sugar diabetes - easy diagnosis via blood test
2. Diabetes insipidus - rare but does happen - catches vets out !
3. Kidney problems - diagnosed by blood tests
4. Chronic hepatitis - diagnosed via blood tests
5. Cushings syndrome

There are many more conditions but the above are the common ones.

Here is a good link on the subject so you can look at things in depth : LINK

I am sorry I cannot offer any home remedies here as I usually like to do, the diagnosis is so wide ranging I would be concerned I might get it wrong. Accordingly all I can suggest is that you have your vet check your dog out as soon as is practicable, it would be helpful if you take a fresh urine sample with you as there are stick tests which might help your vet pin down the diagnosis. Once you know what is going on you can then start to make any decisions as to treatment etc.

If I have not answered your question fully enough or if you would like to ask more I will be on line for the next hour or so and I will be pleased to discuss your question further.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: BVMS, MRCVS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information. I was thinking she had possibly developed diabetes because of the insatiable thirst that often occured at night. She is overweight and we had been walking and controlling her diet to get her weight down, but she seems to have lost several pounds over the last few days. She is still energetic when we go outside, but she does seem more tired when we come back in. The lack of bowel movement has me very concerned, since she usually has 2 or 3 bowel movements each day.

Hello again,

Sorry about the delay, I am in a different time zone to you and I have just come back online.

The lack of bowel movement is a concern but given the other possible diagnosis such as diabetes thus is just another reason why you should have a vet check your dog over without delay. I do not think it would be safe to treat it as a separate entity on a home remedy basis.

Good luck with your dog,

Scott