Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Can I give my 30-pound dog aspirin to help with a muscle s

Can I give my 30-pound dog aspirin to help with a muscle strain?
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I have to say that your vet will be able to prescribe a suitable prescription drug which will be safer and more suited for long term usage than any over the counter human pain relief medication.

However on a short term home remedy basis aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other human over the counter pain killers and this drug is sometimes prescribed in the dog. A typical dose rate would be is 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgment whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK Do not give aspirin if your dog is on any other medication or if your dog has any pre-existing diseases other than the muscle strain

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That doesn't give me a specific dosage for a 30-pound dog. 1/2 an adult (325 mg non-enteric coated) tablet would be safe? I know you have to post disclaimers since you're not seeing the dog, but I want to know that giving this dog -- who's never had any medication other than wormers -- a 1/2-aspirin wouldn't kill him.
Hello again,

From the information supplied it would normally be safe to give a 30 pound dog 150 mg of aspirin twice a day { Give it with a little food }

So half your 325 mg tablet twice a day would be close enough and unlikely to cause any problem.

Regards,

Scott