Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog ate bacon grease. She is breathing hard, shaky legs,

Customer Question

My dog ate bacon grease. She is breathing hard, shaky legs, and not walking well. She is 3 years old. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help.

1- How long ago did she eat the grease?

2- How is she walking?

3- Is she vomiting?

4- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Not sure exactly when she ate the grease. We made breakfast around 10 am and it happened after that. She is not walking well. She is not vomiting. I only noticed her symptoms in the past hour. She took me to the grease and that's how I found out she ate it along with the greasy beard.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

1- Can you describe how is she walking?

2- Can she get it up?

3- Can she go upstairs?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is laying on the grass. She just sat up but is not moving when I call her. She came downstairs very shakyand stopped a few times. I am home alone with a baby so am wondering what I should do.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 6 years ago.

This could be related to ingestion of the grease and causing a bought of pancreatitis. Or, it may not be related to the grease and she may be having some musculoskeletal pain. There is not much you will be able to do for her at home; I would recommend that you take her to ER vet, both conditions mentioned above do better when we get to them early. If you are not able to get her to a vet, then, do not feed her during the next 24 hours; no food or water orally. If this is related to the pancreas she cannot have anything orally. If she starts to vomit you can give her Pepcid AC 0.25 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours. Have her checked in the morning by your day vet; they will be able to establish difference.

If you have additional questions I will be glad to answer them.

Dr. Peter