Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Dog .. Acts like sh is choking or tring to gag somthing

My Dog .. Acts like sh is choking or tring to gag somthing up from her mouth. It tends to happen during the middle of the night. he also snorts in thru her nose like she cant breath. she sees to hard time breathing when sleeping. She was bite by one of our other dogs abot 2and a half weeks. Se had a punture wound but it ws not bleeding. just kinda broke he skin. We gave her Penicillian 3 times a day (1 unit) for 7 days. the cleared up but now she wakes me up during the night hackin , gaging, breathing wierd. She is a Dalmation about 9 years old .. she is ovr weight and isa house dog. 3 people smoke in the house but not in her face - she has been aroound soking her whole lifeand never had breathing problems befoe.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 7 years ago.

Hi there and welcome to Justanswer!!

Has she been to a kennel, vets office or groomer recently?

Has this snorting been going on longer than the cough?

Thanks!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No she has no been to the none of the above. Limited number of Vets here last time took her to get do claws removed charged me $700.00 So i went to feed store and got medicine. The snorting has been going on for awhile but nothing like now.. Acts like trying to cough up a hair ball . Looking at her right now her breathing is fast and slow like every other breath is fast
Thanks Donny.

I believe your dog has 2 things going on.

One is the reverse sneeze which is a aspiration reflex that dogs do and this causes no harm and does not need any treatment.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/reverse-sneezing-in-dogs/page1.aspx

The other "cough" still could be Tracheobrionchitis or Kennel Cough. This is a very copntagious disease that is air borne so your dog could have caught it anywhere. The cough acts like there is something stuck in his throat and can be very violent. This disease is self limiting and will resolve on its own.

This cough could also be the beginning of Congestive Heart Failure or Lung cancer. If it persists, you will have to have your vet examine her to determine if this is serious. For now, Robitussin DM given 1 teaspoon per 20 pounds of weighht given every 8 hrs will help.

Good Luck, Donny, and Happy Holidays!!