DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

My dog is 14 year old year old poodle with cataracts, in the

Customer Question

My dog is 14 year old year old poodle with cataracts, in the last 2 months i have noticed almost complete loss of vision. Is it usually to late at this point to have cataract surgery.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 7 years ago.
Hi there. Thanks for the questionCustomer

As long as the cataracts are the only thing causing a loss of vision it is technically not too late for cataract surgery. There are certainly other issues to weigh such as anesthesia risks in an older dog. If you are interested in cataract surgery I think the best option would be seeking referral to a veterinary ophthomalogist in your area. They can do tests to ensure that besides the obstruction of the cataracts, that the dog's vision is ok - they perform a test on the response of the retina to stimulus. And discuss with you the potential positive or negative outcomes.

Here is a clinic website that I think has good info for owners about cataracts and surgery....I dont work this clinic at all but I just think they do a good job of explaining everything:

http://www.animaleyecare.net/diseases/cataract.htm

I hope this was helpful.

Sincerely, XXXXX

Edited by DrMelJ on 12/14/2009 at 7:18 PM EST