Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

chihuahua: Her right eye looked as if it had a stye on the bottom lid

Customer Question

I have a chihuahua. Her right eye looked as if it had a stye on the botXXXXX XXXXXd a couple of days ago. However now it looks like there is about 3 styes now. Also this morning her eyes look squinty and there is white mucous (like eye boogers) in her eye. Every so often when she is blinking she seems to not open her eyes as well. Her appeite and drinking has decreased. I have a vet appt. for this afternoon. But would like to know if I should bring her into the ER immediatly? Also what could be causing this? glaucoma?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
What you may be describing is more like a meibomitis. An inflammatory condition involving the eyelid/glands within the eyelid. Often, this is accompanied by a conjuncitivitis (inflammation in the pink tissue underneath) and can occur with eye infections, allergic reactions, trauma to the eye.

If she seems comfortable (not rubbing her face, pawing at her face, no swelling) than its not likely an emergency, but does need to be addressed as soon as possible.

I would expect the vet to closely examine the eyelid, as well as, an eye stain test to ensure the cornea is okay as well:

Eye Stain Test for Ulcers

Glaucoma involves an increased pressure within the eyelid, and would not manfiest as a eyelid change. Also, would be extremely uncommon at this age.

Good Luck
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
I will be retiring for the evening.
If there is anything else I can help with to provide a satisfactory answer, just reply, and i'll get back to you in the AM, pacific time.

I always appreciate positive feedback if the information has been informative or helpful.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 6 years ago.
Just for your info so I can provide a more complete answer:

Here is a library of eye images from UC Davis you can thumb through:

UC Davis Eye Images

Here are some of the more common eye conditions (in no particular order):

Corneal Ulceration

Ectopic Cilia

KCS - Dry Eye