How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Doctor W Your Own Question
Doctor W
Doctor W, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  30 years practicing small animal medicine and surgery
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Doctor W is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog ate chocolate coins. What should I do?

Resolved Question:

My dogs just ate about 15 each "chocolate coins" including some metal type wrappers.

Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doctor W replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer

Not to worry. There is not enough chocolate in mild chocolate to cause toxicity in these dogs (especially with such a small quantity of milk chocolate). Also, the aluminium foil is not likely to cause a foreign body reaction.

I've seen dogs that have done this dozens of times and never had a serious problem. It is possible that they might have some vomiting (but I doubt it) or diarrhea (more likely). Either of these should be self limiting. But, if the diarrhea persists then you should with hold food for 24 hours, then feed a bland diet (boiled hamburg or chicken with fat removed mixed with equal amounts of boiled rice) for a few days, then gradually, add regular food back into diet.

If vomiting persists, especially with lack of appetite, then a trip to the vet is essential in the very unlikely case that an intestinal blockage has occurred.

If you need more clarification, please click on Reply, and I will try to give you more assistance.

Doctor W and 2 other Dog Veterinary Specialists are ready to help you