Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

my dog has been dripping water out of her mouth for most of

Customer Question

my dog has been dripping water out of her mouth for most of today. The dripping is in very large drops and her chin and neck are completely wet. She doesn't seem to feel bad and had a good appetite. she's a 9yr pug
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 4 years ago.
HI there and welcome to Justanswer!!

has this been just today?

Have you looked in her mouth? If you haven't, look and let me know what you see.

thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no, this has happened before, but as far as I know, only at night. I'll be holding her and then have a huge wet spot on me and her neck and chin are soaking wet. I've looked in her mouth and all looks good

Hi again.

This is excessive salivation and could occur due to an irritation in her mouth or an infection in her mouth. It could also occur due to her licking some sort of toxin such as detergent on the floor or some other cleaning agent.

She could have an abscessed tooth that you would not see grossly inside her mouth since the abscess would be in the root of the tooth.

Have your vet examine her to be sure there is not a medical reason for this excessive salivation. If this is ruled out, then this salivation may be stimulated by emotion or a feeling of contentment. She may just have started this because of the hormones stimulating this salivation.

Good Luck!!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She has been fully examined by my vet. First with a pull exam and full blood work, then tested urin and stool, then did x-ray of body, then did ultra sound. She wasn't herself, her tail was down and her energy was down and she wanted to drink excessive water, that's why we started all the testing. All her testing was great, she's in great shape for a 9 year old. We started her on Denosyl one time a day and this has helped with the excessive drinking and with her lower energy and mood. But the this drooling is unbelieveable. I've never seen a dog do this. Her neck and chin is wet, she's been doing this for hours now, and she's done this several other times. I can't find a correlation to any one of the times this has happened, to find a cause.
The other times that this happened, did it stop in a short period of time?

Can you think of any detergent or cleaner that was used during every episode?

I also wonder of there may be a leak in one of her salivary glands that leaks for awhile and then her body lays down scar tissue to cover the leak. Scar tissue is not as strong as her own tissue so any minor irritation would allow the hole where the leak is to open again. This is very difficult to tell because the salivary glands have many ducts and a leak could be anywhere.

If you choose to pursue this, have a gastroenterology specialist examine this. They would be able to follow the salivary ducts with a contrast agent and perhaps find a leak and fix it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the other times this happened it lasted for at least several hours. I've only seen her do this at night, and it went on for hours and was still going on when I went to bed. this is the first time i've seen her do this during the day.

been using the same detergents, soap, for years. there hasn't been any changes there.

The more I think about this, the more I feel that this must be a small leak somewhere in the duct system of one of the salivary glands. There is another condition that is fairly common called a sialocele which is a leak in a salivary gland that accumulates below their chin. Sometimes, they will seal them selves off and sometimes the entire gland will need to be removed.

Unless this is a mass somewhere causing this leak, there is no harm from this leakage.
www.petplace.com/dogs/salivary-mucocele...dogs/page1.aspx
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't believe there is a mass as we just had a full body ultra sound. wouldn't the mass have shown up on that?
No, it could be a very small mass inside the mouth tissues. This, fortunately,. is only listed on the differential list but would be very unlikely. Consider seeing a veterinary gastroenterologist. This may give you teh answer. This is a very unusual and odd case and may require more sophisticated diagnostics that we general practitioners have available to us.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My veterinarian is a fantastic doctor and a very good friend. I trust her very much. She said she was going to do some research on this drooling and see what she could find. As I said, we've done every possible test to find answers to all that is going on, with no success, other than it being something psychological, which, the denosyl seems to be helping a lot with. It's very strange. Never had any of these problems, then one day all these things started to gradually begin. Perhaps it's time to see a gastroenterologist. I only want whats best for my dog and will do anything I can for her -- as long as I believe it's in her best interest. She seems to be feeling good, eating, drinking, eliminating, just this drooly I don't understand.

Thanks for your help.

HI again.

I know your vet is a good vet because she has been very thorough trying to find the cause for such an odd thing. Talk with her tomorrow about seeing a gastro vet. She will be able to direct you to the right person if that is what it takes.

I would LOVE to know if you find out anything. I know it may be an imposition so if this is not possible, I certainly understand. All you have to do is log into this question and you can continue to reply without paying any more.

We can all learn... your gal is an enigma.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, lost electricity for a bit....strange. Anyway, I'll be sure to let you know if we find anything. Thanks for your thoughts.

That would be awesome!!

I am keeping positive thoughts for your gal!!

have a Great Day!!