Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

Can you use salt to brush a dogs teeth like you do with humans

Can you use salt to brush a dog's teeth like you do with humans when she has tartar build up and is starting to get loose teeth in the front . She is 13 years old and has bad breath.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 years ago.

No salt would not be a good idea since it is know to cause vomiting if she swallows it.

You need to stick with the dog toothpaste.

Is there a problem with the toothpaste?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there anything you can use to stop the infection in dogs gums like you can use with humans like Amosan.
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 years ago.

1. You can have her teeth cleaned under anesthesia. The vet will have to examine her and do bloodwork to make sure all her internal organs are functionally properly for anesthesia. Then it will be safe.

2. Your vet can prescribe oral antibiotcs. If the infection is severe, and she can not go under anesthesia, you can do what is called "pulse therapy" with the antibiotics. This means the antibiotcs could be given one week on, three weeks off for example. This keeps the bacterial counts down in her mouth.

3. You can use one of the oral rinses on her daily. I am not familiar with the one you mentioned. But here are the ones I use.

I have also been using this water additive on in the water dish of my 3 dogs.