Justin
Justin, Veterinarian
Experience:  8+ years of experience in general practice and emergency medicine.
26713239

My dog has lost hair under his tail which was once very fluffy.

My dog has lost hair under his tail which was once very fluffy. Does he have mange and what can I do?

Thanks for the question. Let me just ask you a couple of questions to help you with your problem.

1: Is he scratching?

2: Does the skin underneath look red or inflammed?

3: Does the hair appear as if it's broken at the shaft, or does he just look bald?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it looks like he is scaling, not too much scratching but always a bit since we live in the countryside. I am not sure what you mean by broken at the shaft, but he does look like part is bald and part has dirt like scales on it. Not red.
Okay. Thanks for the information. A pet your dog's age could be losing his hair for a number of reasons. It does not sound like it's a bacterial infection. An older dog with decreased immune system could develop Demodectic mange that can cause hair loss without being too itchy. This can be ruled out by your veterinarian with a simple skin scrape. Another possibility is hypothyroidism (under production of thyroid hormone). There is a simple blood test that your veterinarian can perform to measure thyroid levels. If either of these conditions is causing the hair loss then placing him on the proper medication will take care of the problem. I think your best course of action would be to have him examined by a veterinarian. However, if you want to try some treatments at home I'd recommend these. First, be sure he does not have fleas. If you live in an endemic area, treat him monthly even if you don't see any fleas. Continue with the vitamin E supplementation. I recommend about 100-200IU daily. Add a good quality fish oil capsule to his diet. I recommend 1 capsule twice daily with his food. Lastly bathe him every 2 - 3 weeks with a good quality, hypo-allergenic, soap-free or oatmeal based pet shampoo. Your local pet supply store, or veterinarian will have a couple products to choose from. Just remember that it may take a while (sometimes months) for a problem like this to resolve. I hope this helps.