Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

my dog has an abscess on her face and she is very calm calmer

Customer Question

my dog has an abscess on her face and she is very calm calmer then usual and has been sleeping all day, she is breathing very shallow. I dont have a dog thermometer i used a human one that is electronic and it came back as 101.5 the abscess was pusing and bleeding alot earlier and we squeezed as much as we could out.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I am Dr. Peter and would like to help. Need additional information.

1- Where is the abscess?

2- Did you take a rectal temperature? (thermometer are the same)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the abscess is right next to here left eye on the snout

and yes i did. but it was my first time doing it so i dunno if i put it in far enough but it was 101.5
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

This abscess is probably as a result of a tooth root abscess. She is a young dog to have a tooth root abscess, but, it can be a foreign body as well. It is great that it is draining as this could cause sepsis (blood infection); continue to drain and flush with water. She needs to be examined by a vet, if not evident on physical exam the vet may need to take xrays to rule out tooth root abscess. Will need oral antibiotics for the infection.

If you have additional questions I will be online for another 15 mins.

Dr. Peter

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i left out information on accident she was in a fight with one of my other dogs he is 9 yrs old and hes and austrilian shepard. I got in the way when i was petting him and i have a infection on my hand but i am taking antibiotics for it and its clearing up.

so does that change anything and if possible am i able to give my dog human antibiotics or what?
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

That definately changes things; this is why I said to myself: "Wow young for a tooth root abscess, but could be a foreign body." So, yes the infection is as a result of the bite wounds. Not a big deal, need to pick up an antibacterial shampoo or a shampoo that has the ingredient: "Chlorehexidine." Dilute with water and flush the wounds with this mixture 3 times a day; allow to heal from the inside out; don't let it scab in.

What is the antibiotic you have and I will tell you if you can use it; What is the miligrams and how much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Amox - Clav 875mg of amoxicillin 125 mg of Clav she weighs about 70 - 75lbs
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 years ago.

That is good; give her half twice a day for 10 days. And make certain to flush and clean wound as above.

Dr. Peter