Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

Dog has a cold wet nose. has been vomiting today. stool is

Dog has a cold wet nose. has been vomiting today. stool is soft but not diahrea.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I will be very pleased to try and answer your question but to enable me to do so with accuracy I need to know a little bit more information, so first can you tell me :

1. So other than the vomiting your dog is reasonably bright alert and happy?

This is just a information request for which you have not been charged, I am online at present. I will answer your question shortly after receiving your reply.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes seems to be in good spirits. was outside all day with me today, and as always was very eager to ride in the truck with me while running errands
Thanks for the question reply.

1. If you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your dog over without delay.

2. However assuming your dog is otherwise bright and happy and eating and drinking then you would be taking very little risk in trying to control the situation with diet alone before you try anything else. This is logical and often works, I often advised my clients at my clinic to do the following :

A. Starve her for 24 hours but make sure she has access to water.

B. The next day feed her four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If she pick up on this diet gradually reintroduce her normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance.

Of course if this does not quickly start to work or if your dog deteriorates you should see your vet without delay.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS