Dr. Karen
Dr. Karen, Small Animal Medical Oncologist
Experience:  Board certified by the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Oncology.

Hi my dog has a swollen lymph gland on her neck (one side only)

Hi my dog has a swollen lymph gland on her neck (one side only) plus she feels like she has a slight temperature. I took her to the vet this morning and he said that a few other lymph nodes were slightly enlarged (all on same side) so he took a blood test to look at her white blood cell count. The test came back within the normal range so I've been given antibiotics to give her for the next week and then I have to take her back to see if the swelling has gone down. What is the likelihood of lymphoma? My dog is a 5 year old spayed small/medium cross breed. Thank you for any help you can offer.
Hi, I'm going to try to help.

I am worried, like you, about lymphoma. Your dog is the right age for it and most dogs will intially present with a swollen gland. I would ask your vet to aspirate her lymph node, to hopefully put your fears at rest. However, if it is lymphoma, it's better to know sooner than later since its much better to treat it as soon as possible if it is.

I'm sorry she isn't feeling well.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are there any other symptoms that would suggest lymphoma? She is otherwise fine and playing/eating/drinking etc as normal. And why would the gland have become swollen so quickly? She was at the vet for vomiting two weeks ago (that they thought was a tummy bug and went away) and the vet felt around her neck and lymph nodes then so I know it wasn't swollen then.
The most typical thing we see with dogs and lymphoma is that they are totally normal in attitude, appetite and activity level, but they just have swollen nodes. In time, if untreated, dogs can get pretty sick (and have vomiting, diarrhea, and bad fevers). Glands can swell overnight. I'm not sure why, but it usually happens really fast. I wouldn't be surprised if her glands were normal a couple weeks ago.