CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

so, the tip of my dogs penis is swollen, and he has been licking

so, the tip of my dogs penis is swollen, and he has been licking at it and whines when he lays on it.

it sort of looks like it is ballooning out of the foreskin. what could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

Is your dog neutered?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When did this start?

Is there any straining to urinate?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i'm not sure, i noticed about 10 minutes ago though

and i haven't seen him pee
Hi there,

What I believe you are describing is a condition or situation known as "paraphimosis", when the penis does not retract completely into the sheath.

This can happen from an erection, straining to urinate, a mass on the penis or prepuce, or even a mass/tumor of the prostate behind the area preventing the penis from retracting back into the sheath.

What to do now?
- I would recommend that you lubricate the exposed penis using a water based or petroleum gel. If you do not have access to a lubricant such as this, you can try a dilute / mild soap and warm (not hot water).

If this does not work, and the penis remains out of the foreskin / sheath, then I would strongly recommend veterinarian evaluation as a persistent erection can cause blood supply problems.

This link may also help:
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.