CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist

my dog is shaking [can dogs get chills ] and has vomited 3

my dog is shaking [can dogs get chills?] and has vomited 3 times in last 3 hours, what should I do?
Thank you for your post!

- Can you take your dog's temperature?

- Any new food, treats, table food, etc?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no, I cannot take her temp . . . I have a human thermometer, but I don't know about taking her temp

keeps drinking LOTS of water

she ate one of my ceramic pumpkins this morning, I know

With the degree of vomiting you are reporting...I must be honest and say that I am a little concerned. This many times in a few hours is more than I am normally comfortable with.

Moreover - the fact that a ceramic pumpkin was eaten is very concerning for me!

Of course there are many causes for vomiting in a dog - infectious causes, metabolic causes (kidney, liver, etc.), pancreatitis, etc....

But - there can also be life threatening causes such as an intestinal blockage!

My primary recommendation would be to see your veterinarian - if your veterinarian is not open - I would really recommend going to the local ER!

Tests such as a chemistry screen to check organ values (to see if the liver or kidneys have been damaged) and x-rays to make sure there is no intestinal blockage should be done ASAP.

Dogs can quickly get very ill from the underlying cause as well as dehydration!

If there is no blockage, your dog would definitely benefit from fluids and injectable medications for nausea (she will vomit up anything by mouth unfortunately)

I hope the above information helps and guides you.

Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
so you think I should take her to urgent care now?