Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

My dog ate some canola oil after we fried a turkey

My dog ate some canola oil after we fried a turkey. He has thrown up a couple of times and he is not acting unusual. What do I need to do for him?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When did he eat the oil?

What breed of dog?

How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He ate it last night about 11:00 pm. He is a Dachshand Begal mix and he weighs 32 lbs.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

And he seems energetic and active?
Any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

He is not acting any different than usual. He is not normally very active so there is no decrease in that. He has gone outside a couple of times and seems to be ok. I have not noticed any diarrhea yet.

Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 6 years ago.

Ok, so the main concerns with a dog eating oil are:
1. Gastroenteritis
2. Pancreatitis
Let me explain....
1. Gastroenteritis
This is an inflammation of the stomach and intestines characterized by mild vomiting and/or diarrhea. It only lasts a day or two and the patient feels fine - active and alert. This may be all that happens with your boy.
Gastroenteritis responds really well to home care (see below) and within a few days the dog is back to normal.

2. Pancreatitis:

This is an inflammation of the pancreas, often triggered by a high fat meal (such as eating oil). With "acute pancreatitis" dogs are very sick, with severe vomiting, painful belly and fever.

However, with a low-grade, chronic fulminant pancreatitis it is basically a "slow burn" version of acute pancreatitis. The pancreas remains inflamed, with periods of pain and nausea, and vomiting intermittently.
Pancreatitis is a serious medical problem and is diagnosed by having blood work done and possibly x-rays. Dogs with pancreatitis may need to go on a course of antibiotics to treat the chronic pancreatitis and may need a prescription food to "put out the fire" of this chronic problem. Typically the diet is ultra-low fat. At first dogs may not want to eat it because of feeling nauseated and it does not tempt her. But with medications they soon feel *much* better and keep feeling well if they stays on an appropriate food.
For more information:

When treating pancreatitis,, for patients that I see, I usually have them on something to block stomach acid production. The drug I usually reach for in dogs is ranitidine, which is Zantac. You can buy it at your local pharmacy. Legally, I cannot prescribe medications for a dog that I have not seen!

Here is more about ranitidine, including dose:

If your dog were my patient, I would start him on Zantac.

Other things you can do at home until you can get him in to the vet:

1. WITH-HOLD FOOD until it has been 24 hours since he last vomited. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When he is fasting, he can have lots of clear fluids.

Wait until it has been 4 hours since he last vomited, and give small amounts of plain water to start.

So, water is fine, but if he keeps that down for 2 hours, he can then have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1 cup an hour.

3. After 24 hours without vomiting, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2 or 3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal dog food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve himself and back in.

If your dog continues to vomit, develops blood in the stool, is lethargic or shows signs of abdominal pain, please contact a veterinarian promptly.

I would hope that this will be a simple gastroenteritis and apart from a bit of diarrhea which I would expect later today, I'm hoping he will be fine. If he continues vomiting or shows signs of abdominal pain (refusing to move, standing head and tail down, back arched) then do see a vet promptly!

I hope that this helps you to help your dog!

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will try to provide it!