Deb Jankura
Deb Jankura, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ years experience in progressive small animal practice

Please help, my dog cant move his back legs. Its as though

Please help, my dog can't move his back legs. Its as though they are paralysed. I took him the vets a couple of days ago who said his knees was dislocated but to me it seems more than this. He is a shih tzu, 6 years old. He is dragging his back legs to get around, when he does stand up they completely give in. It is so upsetting seeing him like this, what can I do. The vet gave him anti inflamitory tablets. Thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Deb Jankura replied 6 years ago.
sosorry to hear of thisproblem,

If you put a little pressure on his back, right over the spine. and start at the neck and work your way down to the tail- Is there a spot where he seems painful? If you pinch his back toes, first one side then the other- does he seem to act as if it hurts a little? If he just pulls it back that is just a reflex, if he tries to get away or whimpers or gives you adirty look- thatmay mean he feels it.

It sounds like he may have a slipped disk. He may need more treatment or even surgery.I will try to find a video of neurologic evaluation in a dog. if I find it I will post shortly.

What kind of pills does he have? After testing him, keep him in a confined space so he cannot move around very much and make the problem worse. I look forward to you response
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi he does whimper a little if you touch his lower back. I've not got the anti inflamatory tablets with me at the moment. Can a slipped disc be fixed?

Thank you

very often it can be but requires surgery in many cases. A test for how severe the problem is= is can he feel his toes. If he has deep pain sensation, the odds are better. Was the place on his back always in the same place and was the reaction repeatable?

If it is a disk problem, initial treatment should be confinement-so he can't move around and irritate it and antiinflamatories. Ytu to look for an emergency veterinary hospital near you. If this is a disk then time is critical and the sooner he is treated the better the outcome.

here is some more info
Hi crutch,
How are things going.?
did you see an emergency veterinarian?