CriticalCareVet
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience:  Emergency and Critical Care Specialist
17828336

hi we have a 7 mo cane corso and he is limping pretty badly,

hi we have a 7 mo cane corso and he is limping pretty badly, we took him to the vet and qeustioned them about the limp. The vet did an exam on the dog and she could not get ares to repeat the pain.
She recomended that we do a x-ray but i dont want to pay 200 to find out it is a bruise because it keeps going away and coming back.
Do you have and recomendations on how to wrap a sprain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  CriticalCareVet replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your post!

What leg is the affected leg?

Is it always this leg?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes it is his left front

If you press on the leg, can you get him to be painful in any specific area?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

None that he repeats in any specific place, but inside between his toes is red.

Hi there,

Front limb lameness is usually a little bit more difficult of a diagnosis that hind limb lameness. The hips and knees are easier to understand and see on x-ray as compared to the shoulder, elbow and wrist (carpus).

If there is redness between the toes - an interdigital pyoderma (skin infection) can cause this - and you can try epsom salt footbaths once or twice daily. But if this is truly pain from another location - what are causes?

1) Shoulder
------
In large breed dogs under one year of age,
osteochondritis dessicans (OCD) is the most common cause of forelimb lameness with pain localizing to the shoulder.

2) Elbow - Lameness caused by pain localizing to the elbow joint can be caused by either by elbow dysplasia or premature closure of a radial or ulnar physis. Elbow dysplasia can be applied to three separate syndromes: fragmented coronoid process (FCP), OCD of the distal medial humeral condyle, and ununited anconeal process (UAP).

3) Carpus (wrist) - Carpal hyperextension, fracture, etc.

There can also be causes such as panosteitis in young, growing, large breed dogs.

If the signs do not resolve, then I would recommed x-rays to make sure there is not a cause such as what is listed above.
_____________________________________________________________________
Please click "ACCEPT" if the information I have provided has been of help so I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are always welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would highly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.
CriticalCareVet, ER/ICU Specialist
Experience: Emergency and Critical Care Specialist