Dr. Christie
Dr. Christie, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 7 years of practice

My puppy is 5 weeks old and has not opened her eyes. What may

Customer Question

My puppy is 5 weeks old and has not opened her eyes. What may be the problem and/or solution?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Christie replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, this is Dr. Christie.

1) Is there any mucus or matting over the eyelids?

2) Is there a separation between the eyelids at all?

3) Does it seem like the muscles around the eyes 'blink' even though her eyes are not open?

4) Any discharge from the eyes?

5) Is the puppy eating and otherwise thriving?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1) no mucus or matting

2) a slight seperation but can not see eye ball at all

3) yes, they do have a muscular "blink" action around the eye, eventhough there isn't any eye opening and closing.

4) no discharge

5) she is nursiong and gaining weight and is happy and healthy

Thank you for your time thus far.

Thank you for the information.

It is possible your puppy was born without eyes. Certainly by this point, your puppy's eyes should have been open for weeks now. There is a genetic defect in which puppy;'s can be born without eyes. Unfortunately since I cannot examine her myself, I would recommend a checkup with your vet to confirm this. Most puppy's actually end up doing just great and will rely on their hearing and other senses more so. Caution does have to be taken with these dogs because they cannot see danger or things they can get into, such as holes in the ground or traffic on a road, etc.

Dr. Christie.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am fairly sure that she has eyes. I have asked my vet and she says not to worry some puppies are late at opening the eyes but I do worry, still. My vet is not very familiar with newborn puppies, as she does not see many in her practice but says that she has heard of puppies not opening their eyes till 5 or 6 weeks and being perfectly healthy.

Honestly at this point the puppies eyes should be open. Typically is they are not open by now, there is an underlying problem (ie no eyes, fused eyelids, etc) I would be concerned that the eyelids may possibly be fused together, in which they will need to be surgically cut to separate the eyelids.

If your vet is unsure, it would definitely be worthwhile to get a 2nd opinion from a vet who has seen more puppies and is more familiar with puppies.

Dr. Christie