Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

Can you use Gold Bond Powder on a dog with irritated skin

Can you use Gold Bond Powder on a dog with irritated skin?
If anything,
I would stick with hydrocortisone cream and/or neosporin to help with any secondary infection.

Also, if allergy induced (and even if not), it may help to give an antihistamine.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

I would still strongly recommend you get into a vet. Call around. Many vets offer a free examination for new clients. So, even if you don't do any tests, at least you can get better medication, and oral antibiotics if needed for an infection.

Good Luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Benadryl seems to help him but this has been ongoing. We tried everything for flea control, including the spray for the lawn, flea collars, spray and powder. We have another dog a Queensland and he's not having these problems. So i'm thinking that since Bandit "the one with the problem" got the irritation from the fleas and he keeps scratching, he's just making it worse. Does that make since? His skin dosen't have time to heal. Is shampoe going to help or hurt?
A product from your vet (shampoo) I would be okay with. DO NOT use any other medicated, holistic, etc...shampoos over-the-counter (can't risk exacerbating the problem)

Also, with any shampoo, after you later and let it stand on the skin for a few minutes, make sure to thoroughly wash it all off (especially under the belly).

Even after you get rid of fleas, a pet with a flea allergy hypersensitivity will normally continue to itch for potentially several weeks. Fleas inject their saliva into the skin, so the pets continue to be allergic.

Flea collars, spray, and powders are usually worthless.

Stick with a good topical flea control product like Frontline or Advantage. A neat oral pill (prescription only) that is given once a month for 30 days of flea control is called Comfortis.
For the yard, I would simply call a professional.

Good Luck