How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Scott Your Own Question
Dr. Scott
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 15168
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Scott is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 10 lb. dog ate a piece of boric poison uaed to kill roaches.

Customer Question

My 10 lb. dog ate a piece of boric poison uaed to kill roaches. He seems fine so far. Should I give him bepto bismal? Or is there anything else I should do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

How long ago was it ingested?

Was the plastic ingested or just the poison?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This just happened at a neighbors. The box just said boric acid. I don't think it was very much. It was a piece that had dropped on the floor.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
You can induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide. A 1-2 teaspoons should work in a small dog. Wait 5 minutes, if no vomiting, give more. This can be attempted 3 times only. Boric acid can cause problems in a dog this size depending on how much was ingested. It usually takes high doses to cause toxicity. If the dog will not vomit, I would contact your local vet.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The box says do not induce vomiting
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
You said induce vomiting. The box says do not induce vomiting
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
If you do not want to induce vomiting, i would have the dog examined by your vet. He will need oral medication to counter act the effect of the acid and they may induce vomiting. The toxic dose would need to be calculated with the concentration of acid compared to the dog's weight. If a toxic dose was ingested, the dog will need treatment. Vomiting, lethargy and seizures occur in severe cases. If the dose is not at a toxic level, they may just give activated charcoal to absorb the acid.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Not a real reply
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
If the dog ate a toxic dose of boric acid, vomiting should be induced. The only way to know if a toxic dose was ingested is to know how many milligrams of the acid was ingested. If you want to wait and see if the dog develops any symptoms, contact your vet if he starts vomiting. There is nothing to give at home to treat the dog.