Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 12 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog is vomiting around 6-8 hours after eating. He is fine

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting around 6-8 hours after eating. He is fine all day and plays like normal. He vomits almost consistently at 3am the last several days. The vet says that his labs are normal and that since he is still having bowel movements he is not obstructed. Something is not right...any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. Any change in diet, given human food or gotten into the trash or plants before this started? Is he up to date on his vaccines and heartworm prevention every month? Exactly what labwork did your vet run? Routine bloodwork? Fecal exam? CPL (pancreatitis)? Abdominal x-rays?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
she ran a cbc and comp. He never gets people food and can't get into the trash. There has been nothing different. All of his shots are current and the other two dogs in the house are fine. The other night he was obviously not feeling well. His nose was hot and dry and he was very lethargic. Now he is like his old self just vomiting every night all over the house. We are very worried!
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. How long has these vomiting episodes been going on for? Just once at night or multiple times a day? When he has a vomiting episode, it he retching and having abdominal contractions, or is it just coming up with no warning?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has been doing this for the last 4 days at least. for the last couple of days it has been just in the one time as far as we know. There is no retching, he just vomits.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the information. What we have to determine is if he is actually vomiting or regurgitating. They are very different and have different causes. Vomiting usually involves retching, nausea and abdominal contractions. Regurgitation just comes out. There is no warning. Vomiting can have many causes - dietary indiscretion, food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease, gastrointestinal foreign body obstruction (partial blockages can still produce feces), other sources of gastrointestinal inflammation or infection, intestinal parasites, immune mediated diseases, kidney disease, liver disease, pancreatitis, adrenal gland disease, pneumonia......the list is endless. Regurgitation is usually an esophageal problem. It may be due to a stricture in the esophagus, megaesophagus (widening of esophagus with very little muscular tone), esophagitis (inflammation or ulceration), esophageal cancer or parasites that embed into the wall of the esophagus (not common). Megaesophagus is most commonly caused by a stricture, specifically a vessel that comes off the heart and doesn't close like it normally should during birth (persistent right aortic arch),l or a neuromuscular condition called mysthenia gravis. Sometimes regurgitation is the only sign. If deemed to be vomiting, x-rays should still be done. I may want to run a barium study to make sure everything flows through the intestinal tract normally. It may even be therapeutic and soothe the stomach. I would make sure a fecal exam was ran. I would also want to run a CPL for pancreatitis. If everything is normal or is indicated from the x-rays, an abdominal ultrasound may be needed. I would at least put on some metronidazole to ease intestinal inflammation, pepcid and Cerenia (potent anti-vomiting medication). If it is deemed to be regurgitation, x-rays of the chest to look at the esophagus may be needed. Barium mixed with food can be used to outline the esophagus better. They may want to run a test for myasthenia gravis. There are a few different ones. Endoscopy would probably be the last step in either case if a cause can't be found. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this helps.