Dr. Ellen
Dr. Ellen, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of mixed animal practice
20823731
Dog Veterinary

My dog has yellow vaginal discharge. What is this?

My female dog has had... Show More

My female dog has had some vaginal discharge (yellow/white and sticky) for the last couple of days? She is fixed, she is still eating drinking, and doing everything normally. Will it go away or is it an issue?

I think this may be an issue. Vaginal discharge is not too worrisome to me in some cases. But those are usually intact female dogs with a bit of slimy mucousy discharge. Any time a fixed female dog is having white and sticky discharge I think it should be examined.

This could be a no big deal thing like vaginitis (inflammation of the vagina) which could easily resolve with treatment or it could be something requiring a little more management like a urinary tract infection.

I would try to get her looked at. Be sure you don't let her urinate before her appointment so a urine sample can be collected.

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
I will not be able to get an appointment with a vet quickly, since I just moved, so are there any other symptoms that i should look out for that would implicate a urinary tract infecton?

Yes. If you notice that she is feverish (you can check her temperature with a thermometer if you are able - normal is 100-101 or so), off her food, depressed, or squatting around in multiple spots to urinate instead of just going all in one spot.

Watch the discharge closely. If it develops a bad smell or begins looking yellow or greenish in color make her exam a higher priority.

You can use a mild antibacterial handsoap and a clean, soft warm wash cloth to keep her vulva cleansed and keep her from getting a further infection from the drainage as well.