Dr. Romy Core
Dr. Romy Core, Veterinarian
Experience:  6 years veterinary small animal practice experience and own a solo veterinary practice

My dog has liquid bloody stool. Mostly blood, not alot of feces.

My dog has liquid bloody stool. Mostly blood, not alot of feces. He did get into the trash two days ago but has been throwing up and had diarrhea. Today is the first day to see blood,My
Hi there.

Has your dog had all of his puppy shots?
Was he dewormed as a puppy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, he has had all of his shots. And I am uncertain if he was dewormed. Thank you for taking time to answer my question. Im quite worried and need to know if i need to bring him to the vet or not
Okay. Thank you. So once there is blood in the stool, I do think it is a good idea to have your pet checked by a vet. The blood is simply the body's way of saying that the colon is irritated by the diarrhea. It is not that alarming or surprising to me as a vet that there is some blood in the stool after two days of diarrhea. However, this tells me that maybe a little veterinary help would move things along for you. Your vet can give you something to stop the vomiting and antibiotics for the bloody stool. (I'm sorry--I thought you said she was vomiting too, but I might have read that wrong.) She will also help you rule out parasites as a cause with a simple stool sample. I don't think you need to rush to the vet tonight unless the vomiting will not relent.

You can give some immodium tonight. Give one-quarter 2mg tab by mouth to help control the accidents. For diet, offer something easily digestible after the vomiting eases like lean cooked hamburger and white rice. I truly hope this helps and that your pet feels much better very soon.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much. I hope that he begins to feel better and that we dont have to go to the vet. Thank you again for your help.