Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

Our dog has swelling on both sides just in front of her hips.

Customer Question

Our dog has swelling on both sides just in front of her hips. Any ideas as to what this could be? She is a large dog, 11 years old. Do dogs have two kidneys like us? Would they be in this area?
Submitted: 4 years ago via lowchenaustralia.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
Hello there,

Can you grab the swelling and move it around with the skin or is it underneath the skin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Feel like you can move it around a bit. Almost feels liquidy.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
In a dog this age there are several possibilites. The kidneys are further up in the dog and can only be palpated if severely swollen. The lumps are likely fat pads if on both flanks in front on the hips. The only thing in that part of the dog is fat, skin and muscle. There are skin cysts that can form, but they do not get very big and should move with the skin.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know its not fat, she is a lean dog. With a cyst is it not odd that she would get two in exactly the same place and same time? I could see one maybe but not two exactly the same.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
If the areas are symetrical, cysts would not be likely. If the dog is lean, you are likely feeling muscles or fat pads. All dogs carry fat deposits in the lumbar area in front of the hips.
Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience: 12 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your help but I think I will take her in to the vet. It is too hard to describe exactly what is going on.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 4 years ago.
That sounds like a good plan. Your vet can stick a needle into the area and see what tissue is causing the swelling. If there is fluid it can be drained as well.