Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

my dog was trying to poop and nothing but clear liquid came

Customer Question

my dog was trying to poop and nothing but clear liquid came out. he is now shaking and crying
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 years ago.
Hi Ve,
Your dog sounds like he is in distress. The clear liquid you see is mucus, which is produced by the colon. He could have a case of colitis, or inflammatin of the colon. Colitis can be caused by parasites, infection, or "dietary indiscretion." The other, more serious, possibility is that he has a colonic obstruction, like bones or other indigestibles, that is blocking his colon. Dogs with colitis, and dogs with an impaction, can look exactly the same, but the treatment is very different for each.

If he has a colonic impaction, he needs medical care. Laxatives and stool softeners can prevent an impaction, but once one has formed, it has to be removed. This is done by either enemas (and the over the counter enemas for people are sometimes not safe for dogs) or often by manual removal of the impaction. Often a dog has to be sedated for us to reach inside and remove the impaction.

If he is not eating, in pain, or even vomiting, I would be concerned about an impaction, and get him to a veterinarian as soon as you can. If he will still eat, then he is probably not impacted. The treatment for colitis is medication like antibiotics and antinflammatory medication; he should still be seen by a vet soon so you can tell which problem you are treating, and get the best treatment for it. Hope this helps, Rebecca