Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

My dog has a croupy sounding cough like hes trying to clear

Customer Question

My dog has a croupy sounding cough like he's trying to clear something out of his throat. He coughs up white, slightly mucousy odorless foam. He eats, he seems okay, he wants to play and go for a walk. I can't see anything stuck in the back of his throat. It started yesterday and went on through the night. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

What breed of dog?

Is he on monthly heartworm prevention?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Luca is a mix black lab/border collie. Yes he takes monthly worm medicine (Interceptor). He just had a dose 3 days ago.

Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
In a young dog on heartworm meds, allergic bronchitis or bacterial infection, such as Kennel cough, would be most common. A heart issue is possible but not common in a young active dog. Oral Benadryl can be used in allergy cases at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed. Bacterial infections require oral antibiotics and cough suppressants for several weeks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Should I try the Benadryl first and wait a couple days to see if he gets better before going to the vet for antibiotics? Is cough suppressant for dogs something I can buy without a vet visit?
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
If the Benadryl does not help after 1-2 doses, I would see your vet. The cough suppressants used in dogs are the same used in people. The problem is that products often have several other added ingredients that are toxic to dogs. Here is what I use:

http://www.entirelypets.com/cota2ta.html
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. Have a great weekend!
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
You are very welcome. Good Luck!