Dr. Emmy
Dr. Emmy, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  14+ years experience in dog and cat veterinary care. I would LOVE to assist you today!

my dog cant poop, what can i do

my dog cant poop, what can i do???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Emmy replied 6 years ago.
Hello. May I have more information?

Is your dog vomiting?
When was the last time he defecated?
What did it look like?
What is his diet?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hes been on the same food but 2 days ago i forgot is food and i gave him a little steak cooked of course and he loves it, and done it before just a little taste but this time didnt work and he cant poop and he is trying hard and pushing and i know he is on pain i try to run and walk with him but he doesnt want to, pls help me i have no money to go to the vet
Expert:  Dr. Emmy replied 6 years ago.

I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy. It is very important that you seek veterinary care as soon as you are able to. Without examining him, I cannot tell for sure, but often my clients bring in their pets for straining to go because they think it is constipation, however it is actually the opposite. They have had an upset stomach with a diet change, as you have previously mentioned, and started to have soft or loose stool to the point now they are straining to go but nothing is really left to come out. My only safe recommendation I can make to you besides seeing the veterinarian is to not allow food for him for a full 24 hours. Only allow water. Purchase Pepcid AC 10 mg and give him 1/2 a tablet every 24 hours for 5 days. In 24 hours, give him a bland diet, something like a jar of stage 1 baby food, flavor of chicken or turkey. If he eats, great! Then give him another jar in the afternoon and that evening, then return to his normal dog food on the next day thereafter. If he is truly constipated, he would likely be vomiting at this point.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
he poop lasst nite a little bit and this morning to but he has a big ball of poop that im able to see when he is pushing but he cant releasing it, should i make him walk?
Expert:  Dr. Emmy replied 6 years ago.
Walking usually helps bowels move, yes. If it truly is firm and dry fecal matter, the best option for that without seeking veterinary care would be hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! The more hydrated he is, the more likely he is to pass the stool. Encourage him to drink water. I would advise against an enema without a physical exam to ensure that it is truly healthy stool able to be passed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it is a normal stool but really hard is not warms or anything unusual but what do u mean by enema???
Expert:  Dr. Emmy replied 6 years ago.
If he is still actively straining to defecate, there is nothing you can do for him at home besides what we wrote about above. You must seek veterinary care. The veterinarian will likely have to use professional ways to remove the stool like lubrication or enema. Please let me know how things go.