Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

can you give a dog benadryl to calm them down. I have a mutt

can you give a dog benadryl to calm them down.? I have a mutt about 40 lbs that is extremely aggressive towards other dogs. She is loveable towards people, but I am afraid she may attack another dog if is gets loose, etc.
Hello there,

Benadryl does cause mild sedation in some dogs. It is used at 1/2-1 mg per pound body weight every 8-12 hours as needed.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can this be given on a daily basis without having any ill effects on the dog? Or are their any other meds the dog could go on?
Benadryl is very safe and can be used long term if it helps. There are several other medications available from your vet if the Benadryl does not help.