Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
7995545

how much morphine can you give a dog is 15mg pill ok

Customer Question

how much morphine can you give a dog is 15mg pill ok?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Is he having any trouble breathing?

How much does he weigh?

Fiona

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
well we have been holding off putting him down. but as of yesterday morning he cant walk. I have morphine in the house. he has been taking tramodoll but it is not working. if 15mg ok or 30mg or 60mg? acl is bad left leg tendon is broken on that leg
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
I'm so sorry that your old boy can't walk now. It does sound like it is time to let him go gently...

I would need to know his weight in order to help you with this.

Clearly, 15mg in a chihuahua would be a lot higher dose than 15mg in a Great Dane....

Do you have an idea of his weight?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He is 73pounds as of last month black lab/springer breathing is fine but can tell pain is great
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
Ok!

And do you have morphine pills or injectible?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
have 15,30and 60 mg pills sr type they are for me I take 180mg 3 times a day
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
I cannot prescribe drugs for an animal that I have not examined as that is very specifically prohibited by my veterinary licensing body.

However, I can tell you that in dogs I do use morphine to control pain.

You can read more about it HERE including dose:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/morphine/page1.aspx

For a 73lb dog who I had examined, I would prescribe 50 to 105 mg of morphine in pill form to control pain. I would start at the low end, and wait 30 to 60 minutes to assess response, and then would add more if needed.

With the pill selection available, I would start with 60mg if he were my patient. I would wait 30 to 60min and then increase by 15mg every 30 min to a max dose of 105mg.

I hope that helps you!

My thoughts are with you and with your dog....

If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
as soon as the vet opens will get him in and laid to rest will do doc and me and my dog thank you
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 5 years ago.
You are welcome...

your boy is lucky to have someone as caring as you to help him in his hour of need. Letting him go gently is the greatest gift you can give him...

You may want to have him lie down on a large blanket or sleeping bag so that you and a friend can use this as a stretcher to get him into your car. You can thus take 2 corners, and your friend 2 corners, and use this system to lift him into the back seat or back of a station wagon or whatever you have available.

I hope that he is soon resting comfortably...
Fiona