Dr. Scarlett
Dr. Scarlett, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing small animal veterinarian with 18 years experience.
13866827

Can I Give My Dog Trazodone?

Can I give my dog Trazodone to help her sleep? (She has an ear infection and I can't take her to the vet until Monday.) If so, what's the dosage for a 10 pound poodle?

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scarlett replied 7 years ago.

Is Trazodone the trade name? Can you tell me what the generic name or active ingredient is? What mg strength do you have?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I think Trazodone is the generic name - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trazodone

I've found web pages indicating it can be/has been used for dogs, but I'm having trouble finding dosage recommendations.

Thanks, I was thinking it was a tricyclic antidepressant. Truthfully, I wouldn't give it just to make your dog sleepy. While that can be a side effect of the drug, there are other side effects I would be more concerned about: vomiting, irregular heart rate, nervousness or restlessness (not all dogs will become sedate on it), diarrhea, and wobbliness, to name a few.

It sounds like you've already tried several medications and I also wouldn't want to keep adding more to her little system. An ear infection is bad enough--you don't want any more symptoms for her to deal with!

I would keep up with the aspirin (1 baby aspirin, 81 mg, every 12 hours) to help with pain and inflammation and I would flush the ears out with an ear cleaner. I would get something from the pet store, but in a pinch you could use a 4:1 water:vinegar solution.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Aspirin isn't helping and she's in pretty severe distress. She's panting -(which is unusual for her) and shaking her head constantly. The ear is very red and irritated and oozing. We tried to administer this ear cleaning solution only we left out the boric acid from the recipe because we're not sure if there's an open wound somewhere.

My wife caused the ear infection by removing mats from her inner ear. Now she feels really guilty and is trying all kinds of things to make it better (but it just keeps getting worse.) I think Confetti is getting more and more traumatized by all the attempts to make it better. If I could just get her to go to sleep, maybe I could get my wife to leave the poor little thing alone!

It sounds like your dog has a really severe ear infection and a sedative isn't going to help either. She needs to be seen by a veterinarian to get appropriate antibiotics and pain medications to get her healing up. Throwing more medications at poor Confetti isn't going to help at this point--leaving her be and leaving that ear alone until you can get to a vet is your very best option. Tell your wife I said to stop all treatments! Smile