Dr. Oz
Dr. Oz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Extra training in specialty/emergency hospital, experienced in emergency medicine and surgery.

what kind of pain killer can i give my dog

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Oz replied 6 years ago.
The best pain killers for dogs are the ones made for the veterinary market, such as Carprofen (Rimadyl), Deracoxib (Deramaxx) and Meloxicam (Metacam). These are all in a class of medications called NSAIDs, which is what Aspirin is.

Other medications in this class, such as Ibuprofen, Naproxen (Aleve), etc. can be toxic at relatively low doses in dogs and are NOT recommended.

Aspirin is sometimes used in dogs at a dose of about 5 mg per pound of body weight, but I generally discourage owners from using it unless they know for certain that they are not going to want to use a different medication later. Aspirin tends to provide mediocre pain relief in dogs with a higher risk of side effects than the other, veterinary-specific NSAIDs. Also, if you have given aspirin, your vet will have to wait several days before switching to a different NSAID, so if aspirin is not enough, you have made things much more difficult.

Veterinarians can also prescribe other classes of pain medications such as tramadol or gabapentin if they are needed for the specific situation, but these are prescription-only.

Edited by Dr. Oz on 11/8/2009 at 1:02 AM EST
Expert:  Dr. Oz replied 6 years ago.
Also keep in mide that pain indicates a problem. If your dog is in pain, you should have the problem seen by a veterinarian to be sure it is not something serious that requires more than just a pain killer.