Dr.Fiona
Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario

My miniature dachshund has diarrhea. It started yesterday

Customer Question

My miniature dachshund has diarrhea. It started yesterday with brown watery stools. She had some bouts with it last night as evidenced from her inside kennel sleeping area. This morning, she still has it, but now it is a mustard yellow color. As I was cleaning her, she would release the thin yellow liquid with any small pressure. I observed her when she went outside to urinate, and as she urinated the liquid was dripping out of her rectum. Her diet has not been changed. However, she does stay on a porch with outside access during the day, when we're at work, so I don't know what she may have eaten. She is not lifeless, but she definitely has a decrease in her energy level and is very clingy. Is there anything I can give her to treat her at home? Or do you recommend a vet visit?
Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just Answer! I would like to help you and your dog with this question, but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

When was she last totally normal?

When did she last eat?

Any vomiting?

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She ate Thursday. I do not believe she ate anything Friday (dog food that is). She may have nibbled a little. She seemed to be herself Thursday evening. Her clingy behavior began Friday am. I have not witnessed any vomiting.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Ok!

When I see a dog with these symptoms and diagnose gastroenteritis (an inflammation of the stomach and intestines) then my usual treatment plan is as follows:

1. When she has an episode of diarrhea, you should WITH-HOLD FOOD! Do not offer her regular food for 24 hours. This gives the intestines a chance to rest and heal.

2. When she is fasting, she can have lots of clear fluids.

So, water is fine, but also she can have pedialyte, Gatorade, apple juice diluted 50:50 with water, or onion free chicken or beef broth diluted 50:50 with water. Give the fluids in small amounts frequently. For a dog this size that means about 1/4 cup an hour.

3. After 24 hours if the diarrhea has stopped, you can start your dog back on a bland diet.

For patients that I see, I recommend a mixture of 75% cooked white rice, and 25% low fat protein. For the protein you could use extra lean ground beef, boiled with the fat scooped off, or chicken breast boiled with fat scooped off or even scrambled egg cooked without fat in the microwave. Feed small frequent meals. For a dog this size, I would suggest 2-3 tablespoons every 3 to 4 hours.

4. After 1-2 days on the rice mix, you would gradually change your dog back to the normal diet and food. So, on day 3, give the rice mixture, but bigger meals, spaced further apart. On day 4, mix a little tiny bit of the normal food in there, and decrease the frequency so it is down to 3 meals or so. And so on.

5. Keep your dog as quiet as possible - just out to relieve herself and back in.

Another thing which I should mention is that in patients that I see, I quite often prescribe Imodium (loperamide) to help resolve diarrhea, as long as the dog is not a herding breed like a border collie. It is quickly effective, and I have people use it for 3 or 4 days. More here about it, including dose:
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/loperamide-imodium/page1.aspx

The other thing that I wanted to mention is that if your girl were my patient, I would put her on a probiotic. They are very safe and help a lot of dogs! It just helps to promote the growth of "good" bacteria and reduce the "bad" bacteria in a natural and safe way. You can use FortiFlora products which are available from your veterinarian, or you can use Culturelle which is available at pharmacies in the USA. For the Culturelle, a 2lb dog would get 1 capsule daily sprinkled on her food.
Here are links:
http://www.dogbuffs.com/purina-fortiflora-probiotics-dogs-cats
www.culturelle.com

If your girl continues to have diarrhea, starts to pass blood or mucus, or begins vomiting, or loses her appetite, then a call to your vet would be in order. Your vet may want to start her on metronidazole which is very quickly effective at helping to make dogs with gastroenteritis feel better.

I hope that helps you. If this has been helpful, please hit the green "Accept" button and leave feedback.

If you need more information, just click on reply and I will still be here to provide it!

The above is given for information only. Although I am a licensed veterinarian, I cannot legally prescribe medicines or diagnose your pet's condition without performing a physical exam. If you have concerns about your pet I would strongly advise contacting your regular veterinarian.

Fiona

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do have a question. I read on a different web site that sometimes it was helpful to give your pet true canned pumpkin (not pie fillings). Do you think this is a good home remedy?
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
Canned pumpkin is something I definitely recommend for colitis - an inflammation of the colon. It is characterized by one or more of the following:

- more frequent bowel movements,

- a sense of urgency (which can lead to accidents in the house),

- sometimes straining, and

- mucus and even blood on the stools.

Now, it does not sound like your Doxie has these, as this point.

If she develops these, then you can start 2 tablespoons per 10lbs body weight of canned Pumpkin given twice daily. Be sure to use plain canned pumpkin and NOT pie filler!

Hope that helps!

Fiona

Dr.Fiona, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal medicine and surgery - 16 years experience in BC, California and Ontario
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr.Fiona replied 4 years ago.
you are very welcome! :-)
Fiona