Dr. Kris
Dr. Kris, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a small animal vet and I see mostly dogs and cats and an occasional exotic pet, pig and goat.

My dog sounds like she is choking

My dog sounds like she is choking but not getting sick... it was happening randomly and we were at the vet yesterday for her annual check up and all they recommended to me was a chest xray.

Both this morning and afternoon as soon as I let her outside she started making the noise. She refuses to drink water. I gave her a little olive oil in case its just a fur ball. Is there anything else I can do other then take her back to the doctor where I am going to have to spend a lot of money.

Is your dog coughing, does she cough up anything?
Is it a honking cough or does it sound like she has something stuck in her throat?
Was the x-ray normal?
Was she given any medication?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did not do the xray b/c it was so random that I didnt think it was going to happen again the next day. Today was the first time it has happend twice in one day. No she is not on any medication and it does sound like she has something stuck but nothing is coming out and she seems to be fine as soon as it subsides. Usually it only lasts a few mins. This morning it lasted a little longer than it ever had before.
Take a look at this video and tell me if this is what she is doing.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes that is exactly what is happening
Ok. What she is doing is called reverse sneezing. It looks much worse than it actually is. What happens is instead of expelling air (like when normally sneezing) she sucks it in. If she has episodes every once in a while there's no need to worry. When she has these episodes getting her to swallow by rubbing her throat or gently pulling on her tongue can stop it.

If she has frequent repeating episodes (daily or several times a day) it can be an indication of an underlying problem like nasal mites, inflammation, fungal or bacterial infection or a foreign body (tumor, blade of grass, etc). If she has these episodes frequently she's going to need to go to the vet to get tested for mites, possibly have cultures done to look for infecion and x-rays to look for foreign bodies.

If she doesn't have these episodes frequently then you can try getting her to swallow to make her stop. There are some more videos on youtube that you can watch. I hope this helps.