Dr. Lee
Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
20804272

My dogs front paw where the nail bed is is swollen and red.

My dogs front paw where the nail bed is is swollen and red. I think he has jammed the nail. I have given him Cepahalexin 500mg this evening & some Gentocin topical spray. Should I be soaking the paw in Epson salt? Is Ibuprofen something I can give him for pain? He is a 11 year old, 50lb Vizsla. Thank you in advance for your response.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 5 years ago.

Hi. I'm Dr. Lee and will do my best to help.

If you are sure that the swelling and redness is from trauma (jammed the nail), then only resting will help, as well as using dog specific non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Human NSAIDs like Ibuprofen is not good for dogs because dogs cannot metabolize them well, thus can become toxic very easily. For pain control, the only human drug that is good is tramadol, which is a human prescription pain killer. If you have that drug, let me know and I can get you the dosing. I would suggest to have your veterinarian examine the toe and also get dog specific NSAIDs for the swelling.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Should I still continue with the Cepahalexin and the Gentocin topical spray?
Expert:  Dr. Lee replied 5 years ago.

You can continue the cephalexin and gentocin, it certainly wouldn't hurt. The gentocin has a steroid there so it might help with the swelling as well. But the best way is definitely to get dog specific NSAIDs from your veterinarian.

Dr. Lee, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 7 years of experience in veterinary medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your help