Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

i think my dog just ate a toothpick, will he be okay

i think my dog just ate a toothpick, will he be okay?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

If you want to be 100% safe you should have your vet check your dog over now, however I can tell you the following ...

Young dogs are very prone to swallowing objects and I have known sharp objects like needles pass straight through a dog's intestinal tract without problem before, there is an obvious danger though. Here is some advice based on my previous experience :

1. Do not try to make your dog sick to recover the object as sharp objects like this can cause problems in the throat tissue on the way back up.

2. Feed your dog quite a few slices of bread or some mashed potato now to try and cushion the toothpick as it passes along your dog's intestinal tract, this can be effective

3. I know this is a horrid task but you should examine your dog's faeces over the next few days to make sure the toothpick has passed.

4. However be aware that though unlikely there is a potential for a problem to occur here. Monitor your dog for signs such as vomiting, lethargy, anorexia, abdominal pain or straining and if such occur contact your vet without delay. The danger of course is that this type of object could penetrate the intestinal tract which would be a very serious situation.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS