Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management

my dog will only drink water and will not eat. She is only

my dog will only drink water and will not eat. She is only laying around won't go outside and hasn't pee'd since this morning. She then will be fine the next day, I give her rice then the next day we are back to only drinking. She is moaning a little and her breathing is deep but not fast. She is 11 and I don't have the money to spend on having her tested. Should I just have her put down?

I am sorry to hear about these concerns.

If they are persisting....

She continues to be lethargic, not eat, not urinate, you need to get her into a vet. The breathing is my greatest concern is it may suggest respiratory difficult, nausea or pain.

Some vets offer a free examination to new clients, so call around, and that may save some money.

Here are some other links to possible financial assistance:

Angels 4 Animals
Care Credit
*A credit card with low to no-interest payment plans for veterinary care
*More vets are now accepting care credit

*Note: There are many payments options with Care Credit, and the website will give you details about payment plan options, including the potential for no-interest repayment

The Pet Fund

Good Luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This started Thursday and this is the 3rd episode of this. Do you have any idea of what it could be? I know you cannot diagnose but any suggestions would help.

I wish I could.

The symptoms are not very specific for any underlying pathology. I would be most suspicious for organ issues (kidney, liver, etc...)

Stomach or intestinal upset is another thought.

To help settle the stomach you could try one of the following drugs. My favorite product is Pepcid (an over-the-counter antacid).

Pepcid (Pepcid A.C.)

Pepcid comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets. You can give it every 12 hours.

The dose can be found within the following link: