Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

can a dog get herpes from a human if the human has an open

can a dog get herpes from a human if the human has an open cut/sore and if the dogs licks it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

While I cannot diagnose this over the internet I can tell you the following :

Short answer here but it does cover things : It would be close to impossible for a human to transmit herpes virus infection to a dog. While both species may have herpes virus infections it will be due to different forms of the virus, this type of virus is very host specific and can usually only multiply in its target host.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if a human touches a dog and the dog licks the open sore the dog can't get it in there mouth?
Hello again,

The actual virus may well go from the human to the dog and end up in the dog's mouth. But once there it will not be able to lock on and replicate as the dog will lack the necessary receptor sites for this particular variant of the virus to enter it's body.

The dog herpes virus will only replicate in dogs and the human herpes virus will only replicate in humans, although they are both herpes viruses they are very different serotypes.

Regards,

Scott