Dr. Scott, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of small animal, equine and pocket pet medicine and surgery.
19741892

my dog cant keep any food down its been 5 days. for 24 hours

Customer Question

my dog cant keep any food down its been 5 days. for 24 hours ive tryed chicken and rice but he is still bringing it up, and it looks like its a greeny colour help he is a rescue dog i dont have history and he is very think about 3 years old husky alsation
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
Hello there,

Is the dog drinking water and keeping it down?

Has the dog been tested for parasites?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The dog is drinking small amounts of water, he hasnt been tested for anything yet because i only got him friday. but he was very underweight when i got him he is a rescue dog.
Expert:  Dr. Scott replied 7 years ago.
The dog needs to be examined by your vet if not keeping food down. The dog could have whipworms if very thin and vomiting. He should also be tested for heartworms. The dog could have stomach ulcers from stress. If chicken and rice won't stay down, the stomach is very upset. Pepcid AC can be used once a day at 5 mg per 20 pounds body weight to reduce acid production in the stomach until the dog is examined.