FamilyPetDoctor, Veterinarian
Experience:  13 years of experience in small animal medicine and surgery, including emergency medicine

Can I cure my dogs vaginal yeast infection at home Money

Customer Question

Can I cure my dog's vaginal yeast infection at home? Money is tight and I am unable to pay for a vet if I can do this myself.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  FamilyPetDoctor replied 6 years ago.

What are her symptoms??

Bacterial infections are common, but yeast infections in dogs ( vaginally) aren't.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She has a yellow mucousy discharge from her uretha.
Do you mean her vulva???

Is she having any difficulty or irritation urinating?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She is not having discomfort while urinating and there is no excessive licking. Perhaps I do mean the vulva and not the ureathra.

It sounds like she has a bacterial vaginitis, which coul dbe what she had as a puppy. Most puppies do grow out of them...but some dogs have vaginal strictures, which are a congenital defect where they have extra tissue in their vagina that predisposes them to infections and makes intercourse painful.

If this is an infection, then you will need antibiotics to treat it..... there isn't anything over the counter that will work. Your vet should also do a vaginal exam to see if there is a stricture. I understand that money is tight right now, so you may not be able to do anything about it if there is...... but if you knew, then maybe you could save money for the repair... and in the meantime treat any infections that arise.

I hope that this answers your question.

Dr C

If you have further questions, please ask.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your help.

You're very welcome.... Best wishes.....

Dr C