Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }

can I give my dog a fleet enema if so how much

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the questionCustomer

I personally would not suggest that an owner should use an enema on a home treatment basis, however if your dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { liquid paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. Small dogs like yours would get around one ml twice a day, this is given orally and a small syringe which you can get from the chemist will be an aid to administer it.

But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, it should respond to the above treatment.

But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or cancers of the bowel, I have to say that the rib bone would be a worry here. This of course this is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having your vet check your dog over as further tests such as X-ray may be needed to try to come to some diagnosis as to why your dog appears constipated.

If I have not covered your question fully enough or you would like to ask more I will be online for the next hour or so and I will be at your disposal.

Scott Nimmo BVMS MRCVS