Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

could you please define side effects of plt tablets my labrador

could you please define side effects of plt tablets? my labrador bitch is 13 and has bad arthritis and has been on these tabs. for 3 months. she has been panting a lot the last few days and i wondered if the tablets were causing this
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 6 years ago.
I may be missing something but what are plt tablets? Is there a name on the bottle?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
only says plt on bottle 1000 given for her arthritis
Hi again.

It appears that this medication is very popular in the UK but has not been used much here in the states because it contains cortisone. PLT stands for Prednoleucotropin which means it contains prednisone and another antiinflammatory medication. Because of this, I would worry very much that this medication could be starting to cause these breathing issues. Long term cortisone in older dogs can cause liver and adrenal gland problems. I would recommend you have your vet examine her to be sure she does not have one of these issues starting which would cause pain and heavy panting.

It could also be that your girl is not responding well to this medication and she is feeling more discomfort and subsequent panting due to this pain.

Good Luck!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
sorry do not accept answer