Dr. Oz
Dr. Oz, Veterinarian
Experience:  Extra training in specialty/emergency hospital, experienced in emergency medicine and surgery.
25402889

does internal bleeding cause the dog pain

does internal bleeding cause the dog pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Oz replied 5 years ago.
Cancer is often painful in and of itself, so that is also something to consider.

We know that blood free in the abdomen is irritating, so it probably is uncomfortable and possibly painful to some degree. However, it is difficult to quantify how painful it is, since dogs with internal bleeding usually are lethargic and weak as well. This makes it difficult to assess if their behaviors are due to pain or weakness.

In my experience, dogs with tumors in the liver or spleen often have ongoing low to moderate levels of pain even when not bleeding. Occasinally some dogs are significantly painful. During a bleed, they do not seem to be in extreme pain, but are definitely more uncomfortable than they were before the bleed in addition to being weak.

You have my sympathies. Cancer is a tough foe to battle, and end of life and quality of life decisions are some of the hardest things we do for our pets. Good luck, and hang in there.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any way I can ease his discomfort till the morning? It's almost midnight here. His vet is willing to come by to my house tomorrow and put him to sleep. I just want to minimize his suffering as much as possible until she does. Taking him to the emergency room will only cause more trauma and was really unpleasant the last time.
Expert:  Dr. Oz replied 5 years ago.
Do you have any pain medications from your previous vet visits that you could use?

Aspirin, while it can be moderately effective for pain relief in dogs, may make the bleeding worse. Since this is an end-of-life situation, that is probably irrelevant. As long as your dog is not taking any other NSAIDs (such as Rimadyl, Deramaxx, Metacam, etc.) or prednisone, you can give aspirin at about 5 mg per pound of body weight. It may not help much, but in this situation anything is better than nothing.

Other than that, just keep him warm and comfortable and give him lots of love.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you. my direct email isXXX@XXXXXX.XXX I have some vicodin (that I have under perscription for myself) would that help?
Expert:  Dr. Oz replied 5 years ago.
Dogs don't process the codeine in Vicodin as well as people do, but it may be able to provide some relief. The dose we would use in an average Golden is not far from to the human dose.

I know it's illegal to give your prescription meds to another person, but I don't know how that applies to dogs.

I am of the philosophy that there is no such thing as a pain med overdose in a euthanasia situation. Do what you feel is best to take care of your friend.
Dr. Oz, Veterinarian
Experience: Extra training in specialty/emergency hospital, experienced in emergency medicine and surgery.